Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts tagged 'MIMS'
2010 Oct 2:
Report: MIMS Qualifying Swim
- Four-hour, 60-degree swim in Lake Michigan at Promontory Point - qualifier for entering the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim.
2011 Jan 16:
MIMS finishing times: 1982-2010
- A chart displaying every Manhattan solo swim since 1982.
2011 Jan 17:
MIMS finishing times: Men vs. Women
- The average female MIMS finisher was faster than the average male in about 80% of the events.
2011 Apr 14:
Swimming vs. Tide Surfing around Manhattan
- Thoughts on the effect of tides on Manhattan circumnavigation times. "Record attempt" tides vs. MIMS tides.
2011 Apr 16:
The fastest swims around Manhattan
- Comparing two methods of ranking the fastest MIMS swims - by simple time vs. lead over the field.
2011 May 29:
Riding the Circle Line as a MIMS preview
- Tips on taking a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan
2011 Jun 9:
Swimming around Manhattan, tides are (almost) everything
- MIMS times are usually affected more by the speed of the river currents than the speed of the swimmer.
2011 Jun 23:
- Photos of the top seeds in the 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim jumping into the water to begin the swim.
2011 Jul 7:
Race Report: Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
2011 Jul 17:
MIMS GPS analysis: Three rivers, Three races
2012 Jan 11:
Don't try this at home: A look back at 2011
- What's it like to swim Tampa Bay, Manhattan, Catalina, and the Ederle Swim in the same season?
2012 Jul 3:
Guest Post: Abby Nunn on winning the 2012 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
- The 30th champion of MIMS comments on the unusual technique she used to win this iconic swim race.
2013 Jul 18:
Paul Newsome wins MIMS: Reflections from the escort boat
- Paul Newsome, founder of Swim Smooth, emerges victorious in the 2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim. Others had a more frustrating experience. Here are some reflections the perspective of a crew member.