Archive of posts
in category 'training'
2010 Apr 9:
Strength training for open-water swimming
- A simple program of strength/resistance training for open water swimming.
2010 Apr 12:
Strength training and swimming: Things to consider
- Follow-up thoughts on my strength training suggestions.
2010 Apr 15:
Readying to rumble
- My workout plan for the week before my 10K target swim.
2010 Apr 16:
Increase effortlessness, not effort
- On the distinction between swimming faster with more effort, and swimming the same pace with less effort.
2010 May 19:
The meet warm-up: Preparing to swim fast
- Suggestions on warming up before a swim meet.
2010 Jun 17:
Cycles of work and recovery: Thoughts on periodization
- How I periodize my training to optimize week-end performance.
2010 Sep 2:
2010 training totals through August
- Reviewing my monthly training totals and consistency.
2010 Sep 7:
Embracing the cold
- Exploring sub-60-degree swimming in Lake Michigan.
2010 Oct 10:
Kayak Escort Practice Swim
- A two-hour kayak-escorted swim in Lake Michigan on the north side of Chicago.
2010 Nov 16:
Lift before swim, or swim before lift?
- Thoughts on combining swimming and weight training.
2011 Jan 5:
Minimalist or high-volume training for marathon swims?
- On Terry Laughlin's minimalist approach to training for marathon swims.
2011 Jan 8:
On pull buoys
- An interview with Olympian Mark Warkentin about the usefulness of pull buoys in swim training.
2011 Jan 26:
The Fishburn Set
- A famously hard 3500-yard pool set.
2011 Feb 11:
A good week
- An example 33,000-yard week of pool training.
2011 Feb 12:
The joys of short course
2011 Feb 16:
On training logs, and a 2010 retrospective
- An annotated chart of last year's training volume.
2011 Feb 21:
Do you need a swim watch when you have a pace clock?
- The surprising usefulness of oversized analog clocks for swim training.
2011 Mar 7:
The Pyramid of Death - a 25km pool set
- A 25,000-meter pool set in 6 hours, 15 minutes. My last long swim before the Tampa Bay Marathon Swim.
2011 Mar 8:
An Open Water Swimming Pace Table
- For easy conversion of short-course yards, long-course meters, and open water swimming.
2011 Mar 24:
- Medicine ball exercises for the pool.
2011 Apr 19:
How to stay motivated for distant goals
- Tips on distracting oneself from the drudgery of endurance training.
2011 May 4:
The Kitchen Sink Set
- An improvisational workout for when you get to pool and don't have a plan.
2011 Jul 20:
In praise of the pool
- On the usefulness of pool training for open water swimming.
2011 Sep 15:
- Over-training is a very real risk in marathon swimming. Some thoughts on how to diagnose it.
2011 Nov 29:
In praise of backstroke
- Backstroke can be nearly as fast as front-crawl, and can provide some relief from shoulder fatigue during a marathon swim.
2012 Jan 18:
Swim slow slower, Swim fast faster
2012 Apr 4:
SWOLF and swimming efficiency
- Interpreting the meaning of "swim golf" - the sum of stroke count and time for one length of the pool.
2012 May 28:
Stroke count games
- Experiments in finding the most efficient stroke count for swimming.
2012 Jun 18:
Good Workouts and Bad Workouts
- Trying to make the most of a workout where I felt 'off' from the beginning.
2012 Jul 19:
- Making water vortices off Santa Cruz Island.
2013 Jan 24:
Should you use swim paddles? A rule of thumb
- Power paddles vs. technique paddles - how to know the difference and when to use them.
2013 Mar 27:
A better SWOLF formula
- Investigating the question of whether to use stroke cycles or strokes in the SWOLF calculation. Looking at real-world data from three swimmers.
2013 Apr 7:
Controlled Stroke Count Drill
- Can you swim across the pool in a specific, pre-determined number of strokes?
2013 May 27:
How to get an effective workout at public lap swim
2013 Oct 18:
Training for marathon swims: Pool vs. open water
- Can you train for marathon swims in a pool? Factors to consider in deciding how much to train in open water vs. pools.