Archive of posts
in category 'swim reports'
2010 Feb 2:
One Hour Postal Swim
- Report on 2010 USMS one-hour postal swim - swim as far as you can in 60 minutes. I finished with 5265 yards.
2010 Apr 21:
Race Report - Swim Miami 2010
- Report on my first 10K open water swim, in which I race (and get smoked by) US National Team members, and learn important lessons about pacing.
2010 May 23:
USMS Nationals Recap
- Report on USMS short-course winter nationals, held in the former Olympic pool in Atlanta.
2010 Jun 1:
Race Report: USMS 1-mile Champs (Huntersville, NC)
- The first USMS open-water championship of the year. I am first in my age group.
2010 Jun 9:
Race Report: USMS 1.5-mile Open-Water Champs (Livermore, CA)
- The second USMS open-water national championship of the year, in Lake Del Valle, Livermore, CA. I am 5th overall and 3rd in my age-group.
2010 Jun 20:
Race Report: USMS 6K Open-Water Champs (Windsor, CO)
- The 3rd USMS open-water national championship of the year, in an unnamed golf course lake in Colorado. I am 3rd overall and 1st in my age group.
2010 Jul 11:
Race Report: USMS 2-mile Cable Championship (Charlottesville, VA)
- The 4th USMS open-water national championship of the year - the famous Chris Greene Lake cable swim. I am 6th overall and 1st in my age-group.
2010 Jul 18:
Race Report: USMS 10K Championship (Noblesville, IN)
- The 5th USMS open-water national championship of 2010, and my 2nd 10K. I am 8th overall and 2nd in my age-group, in a time of 2:17.
2010 Aug 6:
Report: Cascade Lakes Swim Series (Elk Lake, OR)
- Visiting Central Oregon's famous 3-day open-water swimming festival at Elk Lake.
2010 Aug 22:
Race Report: Madison Open-Water Swim
- A 2.4-mile race in Lake Monona, Madison, Wisconsin.
2010 Aug 28:
Report: USMS 5K Postal Championship
- 5,000 meters in a 50m pool in 1 hours, 5 minutes.
2010 Sep 4:
Race Report: USMS 10K Postal Championship
- 10,000 meters in a 50m pool in 2 hours, 17 minutes.
2010 Sep 13:
Race Report: Big Shoulders 5K (Chicago, IL)
- My second Big Shoulders 5K swim in Chicago - colder, stormier, and with new friend Rob D.
2010 Sep 28:
Race Report: Diamond Lake Open Water Challenge (Cassopolis, MI)
- An idiosyncratic 10K swim in Diamond Lake, Michigan.
2010 Oct 2:
Report: MIMS Qualifying Swim
- Four-hour, 60-degree swim in Lake Michigan at Promontory Point - qualifier for entering the Manhattan Island Marathon Swim.
2010 Oct 19:
Race Report: Little Red Lighthouse Swim (New York, NY)
- Current-assisted 10K in the Hudson River off the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
2010 Oct 21:
Race Report: Swim the Suck (Chattanooga, TN)
- Report on the First Annual Swim the Suck (2010) - a 10-mile swim down the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. I place 2nd overall.
2010 Oct 22:
2010 Open Water Season in Review
- 12 U.S. states, 17 races, 57.4 racing miles - an overview of some of my favorite experiences.
2011 Jan 3:
Back to Reality
- Meeting up with Rob D for a swim in Santa Barbara.
2011 Mar 7:
The Pyramid of Death - a 25km pool set
- A 25,000-meter pool set in 6 hours, 15 minutes. My last long swim before the Tampa Bay Marathon Swim.
2011 Apr 11:
Race Report: Swim Miami 2011
- Report on my second visit to the Swim Miami 10K. Better in every respect (pacing, execution, nutrition, and speed) than the first time.
2011 Apr 27:
Race Report: Tampa Bay Marathon Swim
2011 Jun 1:
Race Report: Great Hudson River Swim
- Previewing a small portion (1.6 miles) of the MIMS course.
2011 Jun 6:
- Joining Asheville Masters for an open-water swimming clinic.
2011 Jun 23:
- Photos of the top seeds in the 2011 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim jumping into the water to begin the swim.
2011 Jul 7:
Race Report: Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
2011 Jul 17:
MIMS GPS analysis: Three rivers, Three races
2011 Oct 5:
Race Report: Ederle Swim
2011 Dec 4:
Banquet day in San Pedro: Celebrating a big season of California channel swimming
- My Catalina swim is officially sanctioned; joining the Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association board.
2011 Dec 6:
Swim Report: Catalina Channel
- Report on solo swim of the Catalina Channel. 8 hours, 55 minutes on August 25, 2011.
2012 Jan 11:
Don't try this at home: A look back at 2011
- What's it like to swim Tampa Bay, Manhattan, Catalina, and the Ederle Swim in the same season?
2012 Apr 6:
A chlorinated swim
- A 1500m long-course pool race in San Luis Obispo.
2012 May 3:
Race Report: Nite Moves
- My first open-water race of the season, the weekly Nite Moves swim in Santa Barbara.
2012 May 23:
This one time, at swim camp...
- Jamie Patrick hosts 'swim camp' at his cottage in Lake County, California.
2012 Jun 6:
Joining the South End Rowing Club
- My first swim in San Francisco Bay (and coldest of my life).
2012 Jun 12:
Race Report: Point Bonita to Aquatic Park, San Francisco
2012 Jun 27:
Race Report: Reef and Run
- A weekly one-mile roughwater ocean swim held off East Beach, Santa Barbara.
2012 Jul 3:
Guest Post: Abby Nunn on winning the 2012 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
- The 30th champion of MIMS comments on the unusual technique she used to win this iconic swim race.
2012 Jul 22:
Race Reports: Semana Nautica 2012
- I tour the distance swimming events at Santa Barbara's annual ocean sports festival. 1-mile, 3-mile, 6-mile ocean swims, and a 1500m pool swim.
2012 Sep 5:
Auau (Maui) Channel solo swim - Preview
2012 Sep 27:
Report: Santa Barbara Channel, Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard
- A 19.1 mile solo marathon swim from San Pedro Point, Santa Cruz Island to Hollywood Beach, Oxnard. Subject of the documentary film DRIVEN, and a new course record.
2013 Jan 5:
Avila Polar Plunge
- Jumping off Avila Beach pier on New Years Day with Rob and Cathy.
2013 Feb 25:
Maui Channel Relay
- A video report on the 2012 Maui Channel Relay swim.
2013 Mar 12:
The Alcatraz Swimming Society
- I join Alcatraz swimming legends Gary Emich and Steve Hurwitz for one of their weekly crossings.
2013 May 12:
Swim Report: Five Coves of Death
- Five swim-perimeters of Aquatic Park, San Francisco, on the 5th of May, with the South End Rowing Club.
2013 Jul 18:
Paul Newsome wins MIMS: Reflections from the escort boat
- Paul Newsome, founder of Swim Smooth, emerges victorious in the 2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim. Others had a more frustrating experience. Here are some reflections the perspective of a crew member.
2013 Jul 30:
Alcatraz to San Francisco - sculling
- 1.25 miles from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park using only the sculling drill.
2013 Aug 12:
The second time, at swim camp...
- Report on Lake Tahoe swim camp, hosted by Jamie Patrick.
2013 Aug 28:
Swim Report: Kirby Cove to Aquatic Park
- A 4.2-mile current-assisted swim from the Marin Headlands to Aquatic Park, San Francisco.
2013 Oct 6:
Non-Swim Report: Tomales Bay White Shark Swimming Association Fall Chomp
- El Sharko's annual swim / potluck / poetry reading on Point Reyes.
2013 Oct 29:
South Yuba River swimming hole
- Exploring a unique swim spot in Northern California
2014 Feb 20:
Swim Report: Bay to Breakers
- A 10-mile current-assisted swim race from the Bay Bridge to Ocean Beach, San Francisco. Organized by the South End Rowing Club.
2015 Jul 10:
Round-Trip Angel Island: A Devil of a Swim
- Overview and history of a challenging 10-mile cross-current swim in San Francisco.
2015 Jul 16:
Round Trip Angel Island: Observer Log
- Report of Evan Morrison's solo Round Trip Angel Island swim in July 2015.
2016 Jan 15:
Swim Report: Candlestick Point to Aquatic Park
- Report on a 10-mile current assisted swim from Candlestick Point to Aquatic Park, San Francisco.
2016 Mar 11:
Pt Bonita to Aquatic Park on the Dreaded 9th of February
- Report on a 6.2-mile current assisted swim from Point Bonita on the Marin Headlands to Aquatic Park, San Francisco.
2018 Mar 9:
Round-Trip Angel Island videos
- Short video documentaries of four Round-Trip Angel Island swims in San Francisco Bay, by Cathy Delneo, Evan Morrison, Dave Van Mouwerik, Angel More
2018 Mar 16:
- Revisiting my Catalina swim in the “history books” and the original observer log