Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts in category 'nutrition'
2011 May 21:
On Recovery Drinks: a DIY recipe
- Mixing a generic equivalent to Hammer Perpetuem for 1/3 the cost.
2011 Oct 20:
On Maltodextrin: Maxim vs. Carbo Pro
- Comparing two well-known brands of unflavored maltodextrin energy drink mix.
2011 Oct 22:
On nutrition science in marathon swimming
- What are the interesting questions about exercise physiology and nutrition in open water swimming?
2011 Oct 29:
Swim efficiency and energy consumption
- Assumptions about energy consumption in swimming are different than those for running. Potential efficiency gains are much greater in swimming.
2011 Oct 30:
Calories burned vs. calories consumed
- Do not attempt to equalize energy consumption and expenditure. Digestion rate is limited.
2011 Nov 15:
On Peter Attia's nutrition webinar
- A medical doctor tackles marathon swimming nutrition. Peter Attia's essay "Swimming in the ICU."
2011 Dec 17:
Marathon swimming and low-carbohydrate diets
- Thoughts on Peter Attia's endorsement of low-carb diets for marathon swimmers.
2012 Jan 22:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Art vs. Science
- Drink some carbs. Not too much. Some carbs are better than others.
2012 Jan 23:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Osmolality and why it matters
- Osmolality affects how quickly you can digest calories. This is the main reason maltodextrin-based drinks are preferable to simple sugars.
2012 Jan 27:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: A product comparison
- Overview of ingredients, cost, and flavor of endurance sports drinks from Hammer, GU, Amino Vital, Cytomax, 1st Endurance, and Generation UCAN.
2012 Jan 29:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Do it yourself
- An afforable and customizable alernative to brand-name endurance sports drinks. Buy unflavored (or even bulk) maltodextrin, and add your own flavoring.