Farther, Colder, Rougher
adventures in marathon swimming
Archive of posts in category 'local'
2010 Sep 17:
Swimming at Chicago’s Promontory Point
- Overview of Chicago's best open-water swimming venue, Promontory Point.
2010 Oct 10:
Kayak Escort Practice Swim
- A two-hour kayak-escorted swim in Lake Michigan on the north side of Chicago.
2011 Feb 2:
After the snowpocalypse
2011 Mar 3:
Fall at the Point
- A photo album of Promontory Point, Chicago.
2011 May 29:
Riding the Circle Line as a MIMS preview
- Tips on taking a Circle Line cruise around Manhattan
2011 Nov 18:
Swimming with the Ocean Ducks at Goleta Beach
- Overview of a beautiful 1-mile route between Goleta pier and Campus Point near U.C. Santa Barbara.
2012 Feb 13:
First-time channel swimmer? Consider Anacapa Island
- An overview of the 12.2-mile channel swim from Anacapa Island to Oxnard, California.
2012 Feb 22:
Promontory Point: A marathon swimming landmark
- Promontory Point, which juts into Lake Michigan near the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, has a rich history of marathon swimming going back several decades.
2012 Apr 29:
Sharks Live in the Ocean
- How do open water swimmers deal with the risk of shark attacks?
2012 Jul 11:
My New Beach
- A secret spot on the Santa Barbara County coastline
2013 Oct 6:
Non-Swim Report: Tomales Bay White Shark Swimming Association Fall Chomp
- El Sharko's annual swim / potluck / poetry reading on Point Reyes.
2013 Dec 6:
- A cold swim in San Francisco Bay is when the combined air and water temperatures (in Fahrenheit) is less than 100.
2014 Feb 13:
The Chas Lap
- A challenging 2-mile swim in the vicinity of Aquatic Park, San Francisco.
2014 Mar 9:
At the South End...
2015 Mar 15:
Dead Fish Swims
- A humorous term for current-assisted swims. Swims that even a dead fish could finish.
2018 Apr 9:
- Highlights from a recent trip. Swimming with dolphins.