Archive of posts
2013 Jan 2:
USMS Swimmer magazine interview
2013 Jan 5:
Avila Polar Plunge
- Jumping off Avila Beach pier on New Years Day with Rob and Cathy.
2013 Jan 24:
Should you use swim paddles? A rule of thumb
- Power paddles vs. technique paddles - how to know the difference and when to use them.
2013 Jan 28:
14 Essential Open Water Swimming Blogs for 2013
- Rob Aquatics, LoneSwimmer, Penny Palfrey, and other essential reads
2013 Feb 11:
Take the marathon swimming rules survey
- Investigating community opinion among marathon swimmers about which rules are most fundamental.
2013 Feb 23:
The only three things that matter in channel swimming
- Health, will, and money. i.e., not swimming skill or speed.
2013 Feb 25:
Maui Channel Relay
- A video report on the 2012 Maui Channel Relay swim.
2013 Feb 28:
Marathon Swimming Rules Survey - Results and Analysis
- Analyzing a global poll of marathon swimmers' opinions about rules and equipment in their sport.
2013 Mar 10:
Same Water, Different Worlds: A tale of two swims in San Francisco Bay
- Cathy Delneo swims from McCovey Cove to Kirby Cove - 8.7 miles in 51-degree San Francisco Bay.
2013 Mar 12:
The Alcatraz Swimming Society
- I join Alcatraz swimming legends Gary Emich and Steve Hurwitz for one of their weekly crossings.
2013 Mar 27:
A better SWOLF formula
- Investigating the question of whether to use stroke cycles or strokes in the SWOLF calculation. Looking at real-world data from three swimmers.
2013 Apr 1:
SBCSA announces drug-testing for marathon swims
- Just finished a channel swim? Be prepared to pee in a cup.
2013 Apr 3:
Reactions to the Marathon Swimming Rules Survey
- Follow-up discussion of an inaugural survey of marathon swimmers' opinions of swim rules and standard equipment
2013 Apr 7:
Controlled Stroke Count Drill
- Can you swim across the pool in a specific, pre-determined number of strokes?
2013 Apr 17:
Moments in Time
- Four years of photos from Rob D
2013 May 9:
Daytime goggles, Nighttime goggles
- The effect of UV radiation on bungee straps.
2013 May 12:
Swim Report: Five Coves of Death
- Five swim-perimeters of Aquatic Park, San Francisco, on the 5th of May, with the South End Rowing Club.
2013 May 18:
My favorite stroke tip
- Fingers down, palm back elbows high.
2013 May 20:
Follow-up review: FINIS Swimsense watch
- I retract my original recommendation of the FINIS Swimsense watch, due to numerous flaws that have emerged during my ownership of multiple units.
2013 May 27:
How to get an effective workout at public lap swim
2013 Jul 9:
- Simple technique tips to keep in mind while swimming.
2013 Jul 18:
Paul Newsome wins MIMS: Reflections from the escort boat
- Paul Newsome, founder of Swim Smooth, emerges victorious in the 2013 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim. Others had a more frustrating experience. Here are some reflections the perspective of a crew member.
2013 Jul 30:
Alcatraz to San Francisco - sculling
- 1.25 miles from Alcatraz Island to Aquatic Park using only the sculling drill.
2013 Aug 5:
Candlestick Park to Aquatic Park support paddle
- Paddling for Cathy in the South End Rowing Club's annual 10-mile Candlestick swim.
2013 Aug 12:
The second time, at swim camp...
- Report on Lake Tahoe swim camp, hosted by Jamie Patrick.
2013 Aug 27:
Improving the Swedish goggle? Testing the Nootca 5
2013 Aug 28:
Swim Report: Kirby Cove to Aquatic Park
- A 4.2-mile current-assisted swim from the Marin Headlands to Aquatic Park, San Francisco.
2013 Sep 8:
AP: Nyad's team responds to skeptics doubting her swim
- Annotated commentary on the Associated Press' coverage of the marathon swimming community's skepticism of Diana Nyad's Cuba to Florida swim.
2013 Oct 6:
Non-Swim Report: Tomales Bay White Shark Swimming Association Fall Chomp
- El Sharko's annual swim / potluck / poetry reading on Point Reyes.
2013 Oct 9:
Nyad Agonistes: The anatomy of a social media campaign
- A real-time history of how the marathon swimming community's questions and skepticism about Diana Nyad's Cuba-Florida swim gained momentum and ultimately reached the New York Times.
2013 Oct 18:
Training for marathon swims: Pool vs. open water
- Can you train for marathon swims in a pool? Factors to consider in deciding how much to train in open water vs. pools.
2013 Oct 29:
South Yuba River swimming hole
- Exploring a unique swim spot in Northern California
2013 Nov 21:
Suit, cap, goggles: That's all you really need.
- Some old-school swim gear on display at SERC inspires a few thoughts.
2013 Dec 6:
- A cold swim in San Francisco Bay is when the combined air and water temperatures (in Fahrenheit) is less than 100.