Archive of posts
2012 Jan 11:
Don't try this at home: A look back at 2011
- What's it like to swim Tampa Bay, Manhattan, Catalina, and the Ederle Swim in the same season?
2012 Jan 18:
Swim slow slower, Swim fast faster
2012 Jan 22:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Art vs. Science
- Drink some carbs. Not too much. Some carbs are better than others.
2012 Jan 23:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Osmolality and why it matters
- Osmolality affects how quickly you can digest calories. This is the main reason maltodextrin-based drinks are preferable to simple sugars.
2012 Jan 27:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: A product comparison
- Overview of ingredients, cost, and flavor of endurance sports drinks from Hammer, GU, Amino Vital, Cytomax, 1st Endurance, and Generation UCAN.
2012 Jan 29:
Marathon Swimming Nutrition: Do it yourself
- An afforable and customizable alernative to brand-name endurance sports drinks. Buy unflavored (or even bulk) maltodextrin, and add your own flavoring.
2012 Feb 7:
Letters from Connie: There Is No Perfect Stroke
- Appreciating the variations in how humans adapt their bodies to the water.
2012 Feb 13:
First-time channel swimmer? Consider Anacapa Island
- An overview of the 12.2-mile channel swim from Anacapa Island to Oxnard, California.
2012 Feb 22:
Promontory Point: A marathon swimming landmark
- Promontory Point, which juts into Lake Michigan near the Hyde Park neighborhood of Chicago, has a rich history of marathon swimming going back several decades.
2012 Mar 4:
Water temperature in the Catalina Channel
- Trends in sea temp over 14 years of NOAA data from the channel.
2012 Mar 11:
Introducing the Marathon Swimmers Forum
- A new independent online community for the global community of marathon swimmers.
2012 Mar 24:
A business idea: Super Swedes
- I'd be willing to pay way more than $4 for swedish-style goggles with scratch-resistant lenses and longer-lasting straps.
2012 Mar 29:
Fat vs. Fast
- How much swim speed do you give up when you gain weight?
2012 Mar 31:
Very Important Announcement
- Taking English Channel swimming to the next level
2012 Apr 2:
Promontory Point in the 1940s
2012 Apr 4:
SWOLF and swimming efficiency
- Interpreting the meaning of "swim golf" - the sum of stroke count and time for one length of the pool.
2012 Apr 6:
A chlorinated swim
- A 1500m long-course pool race in San Luis Obispo.
2012 Apr 18:
Letters from Connie: Why?
- What motivates people to swim long distances in open waters?
2012 Apr 29:
Sharks Live in the Ocean
- How do open water swimmers deal with the risk of shark attacks?
2012 May 3:
Race Report: Nite Moves
- My first open-water race of the season, the weekly Nite Moves swim in Santa Barbara.
2012 May 23:
This one time, at swim camp...
- Jamie Patrick hosts 'swim camp' at his cottage in Lake County, California.
2012 May 28:
Stroke count games
- Experiments in finding the most efficient stroke count for swimming.
2012 Jun 6:
Joining the South End Rowing Club
- My first swim in San Francisco Bay (and coldest of my life).
2012 Jun 12:
Race Report: Point Bonita to Aquatic Park, San Francisco
2012 Jun 18:
Good Workouts and Bad Workouts
- Trying to make the most of a workout where I felt 'off' from the beginning.
2012 Jun 27:
Race Report: Reef and Run
- A weekly one-mile roughwater ocean swim held off East Beach, Santa Barbara.
2012 Jul 3:
Guest Post: Abby Nunn on winning the 2012 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim
- The 30th champion of MIMS comments on the unusual technique she used to win this iconic swim race.
2012 Jul 11:
My New Beach
- A secret spot on the Santa Barbara County coastline
2012 Jul 19:
- Making water vortices off Santa Cruz Island.
2012 Jul 22:
Race Reports: Semana Nautica 2012
- I tour the distance swimming events at Santa Barbara's annual ocean sports festival. 1-mile, 3-mile, 6-mile ocean swims, and a 1500m pool swim.
2012 Jul 25:
Virgin Waters: Distances between and around the Channel Islands and the U.S. Mainland
- There are **80 possible swims** between and around the eight Channel Islands and the U.S. mainland. Only 11 of those have been conquered by solo swimmers.
2012 Aug 16:
Menaces to (swim) society: How to be a pool asshole
- The Top 10 Petty Annoyances of Organized Pool Swimming.
2012 Aug 20:
On pool etiquette and experience
- Faster lanes have higher etiquette expectations.
2012 Aug 22:
Advanced Pool Etiquette for Masters Swimmers, Lesson 1: Awareness
- What does it mean to be 'aware' of your surroundings in a lap swimming pool?
2012 Aug 24:
What is the speed advantage of a wetsuit?
- An investigation of swim times on the same open-water course, with and without a wetsuit.
2012 Aug 28:
Advanced Pool Etiquette for Masters Swimmers, Lesson 2: Personal Space
- If you leave 5 seconds apart with only one other person in your lane, you're probably doing it wrong.
2012 Sep 5:
Auau (Maui) Channel solo swim - Preview
2012 Sep 21:
Santa Cruz Island swim (the making of...)
2012 Sep 23:
Two days and two nights on a boat: Observing Catalina and Santa Barbara Channel swims
2012 Sep 27:
Report: Santa Barbara Channel, Santa Cruz Island to Oxnard
- A 19.1 mile solo marathon swim from San Pedro Point, Santa Cruz Island to Hollywood Beach, Oxnard. Subject of the documentary film DRIVEN, and a new course record.
2012 Nov 12:
Who is Ashby Harper?
- The remarkable life of hall-of-fame marathon swimmer Ashby Harper, among the first to swim the Santa Barbara Channel.
2012 Dec 18:
Google Trends and open water swimming
- Insights about open-water swimming from Google search query data.